Today (November 2012) - I'm with Jonathan Amm chatting about business branding - how his branding approach helps make a difference to business results.
His work has been featured on RTE Nationwide & The Business Show with George Lee.
We have a great conversation about the difference between branding, PR & other marketing tactics. We even discuss the fear entrepreneurs often have of showing their ideas or products to others early.
Here are some highlights from our chat:
- How to develop a product or service into a business...
- How to "sanity test" your ideas... see your "blind spots" & take advice from those you know & trust
- Test your passion before going to market
- How to market test & analyse your competitors
- Understand your value - your particular "proposition" & how you package your offering
- Establish whether your product is different... your uniqueness to customers...how innovative & disruptive it is
- Check how people are behaving... the patterns & trends of consumers... where the demand is coming from
- Avoid being too focussed on your own point of view - don't fall in love with something that won't fly
- Not trying to be perfect from the start... tweaking, calibrating & packaging
- Show your "secret" product to others, see how they use it...
- "Bake in innovation" [thanks to "Baked In" by Alex Bogusky & John Winsor]
- How products have to hook the imagination
- Build strength & meaning into your brand & product - from the start - to be relevant & resonate with people
- Why marketing & communications is another layer - not the vital core
- What Cully & Sully did wrong
- Why it's mad to leave branding until later
- Why it's wise to bring creative imagination into the design of the product - from the start
- How tension, conflict, friction & collision of ideas add value to product development
- How "Stop thinking in a linear way" & "Get people collaborating early" give your business an edge
About Jonathan Amm
I am a South African living in Cork - bringing new brand thinking to local entrepreneurs. I love Nando's, good views, challenging golf courses, & good conversation ... I have a passion for helping businesses unlock their promise & potential to grow more customers ... without wasting loads of money on unnecessary advertising or marketing.
My branding career began with when I was marketing VW & Audi in South Africa in 1995. Bill Lynch inspired me do stuff, create campaigns & learn from results. My expertise includes start-up marketing but I'm really broad rather than narrow. I've created big brands, products, companies, differences.
I've been on radio in South Africa & TV in South Africa & Ireland. I've written for newspapers on marketing, branding & innovation.